1. The promise explained. (Verse 16) “So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh”
A. The instruction to walk in the Spirit, reveals our choice.
B. So what does this mean? How do we walk in the Spirit?
2. The problem exposed. (Verse 17) “For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh.”
A. Everything that our flesh desires is the opposite of what God’s will and desire is for us.
3. The problem experienced. (Verses 18-19) “They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.”
A. It is a battle every Christian experiences. It is vital that we grasp the fact that the old nature is not removed or reformed at salvation.
4. The produce is evident. (Verses 19-23) “The acts of the flesh are obvious…” & But the fruit of the Spirit is...”
A. The work of the flesh and the Spirit are evident. We can’t produce the fruit of the Spirit in our life, it is produced by the Holy Spirit. But, we can hinder the fruit in our lives.
5. The priority expressed. (Verse 24) “Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.”
A. You have died with Christ. You belong to Him. Stop doing the sins you used to do. Sin is no longer your master, so quit obeying it.
B. Back to being led by and walking in the Spirit, keeping in step with the Spirit.