1. The incarnation is “God with us”, His redemptive plan. “So Boaz took Ruth and she became his wife. When he made love to her, the Lord enabled her to conceive, and she gave birth to a son. The women said to Naomi: “Praise be to the Lord, who this day has not left you without a guardian-redeemer. May he become famous throughout Israel! Ruth 4:13-14
A. It’s not difficult to see the book of Ruth as a love story. However, if you look closely you realize that it is about more than the love between Ruth and Boaz. It’s our story. It is a story of redemption, God's love for all humanity. B. This account clearly shows God’s desire to redeem people, restoring them fully in relationship to Him and to each other. This love God has for His people is expressed in the incarnation.
2. We see “God with us” in the past.“Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day...” Genesis 3:8
A. God’s redemptive love can be seen in God’s relationship with Adam and Eve.
3. We see “God with us” in prophecy. “Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.” Isaiah 7 A. The name Immanuel emphasizes the nearness of God. B. In the prophecy and His presence. “The Word became flesh and mad His dwelling among us...”
4. We see “God with us” in His provision.“And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever.” John 14:16
A. Jesus “God with us” before returning to the father told His disciples that He would not leave them as orphans. He would send His Spirit to dwell with in them. The nearness of God in the dwelling of the Holy Spirit.
5. We see “God with us” the promise.“...because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” Hebrews 13:5
A. The Gospel of Matthew opens with "Immanuel God with us" and closes with “And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” God is with us in every stage of our spiritual life. The heart of God from the beginning was to be with His people.