1. Written by Paul: “Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Timothy our brother…” Verse 1
A. Letter written by Paul but he has not been there 2:1. Started perhaps by some people from Phrygia as mentioned in Acts 2.
2. The Place: “To God’s holy people in Colossae, the faithful brothers and sisters in Christ: Grace and peace to you from God our Father.” Verse 2
A. Colossae was located inland from Ephesus in a Roman province of Asia. Located in Phrygia which is now modern day Turkey.
3. The Purpose: “And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy.” Verse 1:18
A. The primary reason Paul wrote this letter was to establish the supremacy of Jesus.
4. The People: “To God’s holy people in Colossae…” Verse 2
A. In the church and in the community. Verse 4-5 Primarily Jews, and gentiles with Roman influences.
5. The Problem: “I tell you this so that no one may deceive you by fine-sounding arguments.” 2:4
A. False teaching stemming from competing thoughts, philosophies and religions. It ranged from Jewish legalism to pagan mysticism.
6. The Prayer: “For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you. We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives…” Verse 9
A. Paul's prayer gives us a template to consider in our prayers: Thanksgiving, Constant, Increased knowledge of His Will, Wisdom and Understanding