1. Confusion - “I have had a dream that troubles me and I want to know what it means.” 2:1-3
2. Frustration – “What the king asks is too difficult. No one can reveal it to the king except the gods, and they do not live among humans.” 2:4-11
3. Desperation - “So the decree was issued to put the wise men to death, and men were sent to look for Daniel and his friends to put them to death.” 2:12
4. Discretion – “When Arioch, the commander of the king’s guard, had gone out to put to death the wise men of Babylon, Daniel spoke to him with wisdom and tact”. 2:14
5. Interruption – “At this, Daniel went in to the king and asked for time, so that he might interpret the dream for him.” 2:15-16
6. Supplication – “He urged them to plead for mercy from the God of heaven concerning this mystery, so that he and his friends might not be executed with the rest of the wise men of Babylon.” 2:17-18
7. Revelation – “During the night the mystery was revealed to Daniel in a vision. Then Daniel praised the God of heaven” 2:19
8. Exultation - “Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever; wisdom and power are his.” 2:20-23
9. Discussion – “The king asked Daniel (also called Belteshazzar), “Are you able to tell me what I saw in my dream and interpret it?” 2:24-35
10. Interpretation - “This was the dream, and now we will interpret it to the king.’ 2:36-45
11. Realization - “Surely your God is the God of gods and the Lord of kings and a revealer of mysteries, for you were able to reveal this mystery.” 2:46-47
12. Promotion – “Then the king placed Daniel in a high position and lavished many gifts on him” 2:48-49
1. Dreams and desperation (Daniel 2:1-13) _______________________________________________
2. Calm in the crisis (Daniel 2:14 – 49)___________________________________________________
3. Sovereign over history (Daniel 2:36-45)_________________________________________________
1. What character trait of Daniel’s do you need in your life? What will help you develop this trait?
2. Daniel used discernment and discretion to bring calm to the chaos. In what way would discernment and discretion be helpful to you?
3. Dreams often have many interpretations. How does verse 45 give you confidence in this interpretation?
4. Daniel reveals that God is sovereign over the events of history. Why should this be comforting to us today?